Last weekend Jeff and I needed to prep the new kitchen for our new dishwasher and refrigerator. How exciting that we were finally getting new stainless applicances. We needed to remove the cabinet above the refrigerator because our new refrigerator is taller and we needed to remove the dishwasher because they just remove the dishwasher, they don't uninstall it. A piece of cake!
Jeff was working on saturday so i decided to start the cabinet removal on my own. go figure that one of the wheels on the fridge was stuck so I couldn't move the fridge at all. I removed the moulding and I decided to remove the screws I saw and hoped......
no luck....
Jeff gets home and we both push the fridge out of the way.... we see two more screws.....we remove the screws and assume it will come down
the damn thing doesn't move
We spend the next 20 minutes trying to figure out what is holding up the stupid cabinet. There were these little wooden blocks in the corner of the cabinets right where we could see the cabinets connected so we started to try and remove those.
no luck..... those suckers weren't going anywhere
finally I find that there were very tiny nails holding the cabinet to the next cabinet. Tjhese nails must have been 3 inches long.... and really thin..... We try to dig these out of the cabinets...so we could pull them out
again no luck.. the heads were too small to get traction
we finally realize that we could slide the edge of a very thin metal saw in between the cabinets...
Finally.... we were able to cut the screws......we cut the last one and wait for it to fall..... and we wait.....
ARGH! #%$#%$#%$#%$#%
They had panelled around the cabinet and there was no way to take down the cabinet without removing the paneling on the wall first. So off came the paneling and the moulding..... (luckily we had already planned on taking that down when we renovated the kitchen.) we were just hoping to wait awhile......
so finally the cabinet comes down
So... now on to the dishwasher....
Wow the dishwasher was gross....20-30 years of dirt and dust buildup....... we disconnected the dishwasher and tried to pull it out.. it wouldn't go... we spent at least an hour trying to adjust the height disconnect it and pulling on it...
then the lightbulb went off...
we only disconnected one of the water lines.
After flooding the kitchen we discovered that the incoming line was the one that we hadn't disconnected and that neither of us had thought to shut it off... and the kicker..... si that that the valve to shut it off was stuck.
So... after mopping up the kitchen we were finally able to remove the dishwasher....
and after 4 hours of work we have a very ugly wall that has tears all over it from the paneling and a very dirty floor from a 30 year old dishwasher flooding.....
end of Saturday renovations ..... god I'm glad I'm a homeowner!
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment